Saturday, July 3, 2010

Starting the Couch to 5K program...eek!

So y'all that know me know that I am an active person: hiking, swimming, water sports, gymnastics etc. But one thing I've never been good at, but always wanted to and tried to be was running. My dad is a good runner and had a college track scholarship to go to Auburn until he had his motorcycle wreck. Well, my mom is not a good runner, never has been, so I guess I got that from her. Glenn is also a great runner, and I am so jealous of it. I would love to be able to go running with him and possibly run a 5k together. I have plenty of friends who just go on a long run to get stress out, well running stresses me out, so that kind of defeats the purpose.

So, I have seen this training program before, Couch to 5K (C25k) and for whatever reason decided to give it a try starting today. It is supposed to take 2 months and you will be able to run 5k. There are all sorts of benefit 5Ks everywhere and would love to be able to actually compete in one. I know that I won't win anything, or be the fastest, but if I can just run the whole thing that will be quite an accomplishment for me. So...my goal is to be able to run a 5k in 2 months, like the program says. So watch out 5ks in September and October....here I come!

So....Day 1
It was 5mins brisk walk
then 20mins of 60 sec jog and 90 sec walk
5 min cool down
I did this in 1.88miles, hopefully that will increase!

I did it on my treadmill, I need to also do this outside, but I'm going to have to work up to that as well.

It wasn't bad. The only thing was I was sweating a good bit, but my breathing was good, my knees didn't hurt and my muscles weren't aching too bad either. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Maybe I can speed up this process a bit. It is 3 work outs a week and since I'm not currently working I want to workout every day. Hmm...maybe...maybe not. We'll see.

Wish me luck!!


(Oh and Glenn comes home in less then two weeks....can you say EXCITED?!?!?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment